Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day 9 -- in which we sand our little hearts out and I discover a brand new place to rest my tools

It's been hot down here, but we've been busy. To date:

-half of the kitchen cabinets made. Discovered IKEA had packed two right hand panels in one of them. No earthly way to make that baby fit together.

After a night of tossing and turning, called IKEA who said. "Oh dear, and you're all the way in Tasmania! We'll pick it tonight, but we can only get it down there for you as fast as Australia Post can carry it'. No charge. HELLO SERVICE!!

-full prep done for painting. Used about ten litres of spakfiller and joint thingie. Walls look great. But hey - I thought they looked great before. Little did i know.

- trip to the tip with remnants of the front garden. I have since learned that going to the tip on a 34 degree day and a hot northerly is 'A Mistake'. An even bigger mistake is applying a thick coat of sunscreen beforehand so that all the clouds of dust and dirt from that northerly stick to your skin like a bad spray tan. The colour was actually better than some I've seen lately. Third mistake is trusting the open boot not to fall on my head, clunking me on the scone. OUCH!~!


-purchased paint from Ron at Gunns. Asked for ceiling paint. Confirmed with Ron that indeed that big-arse can of paint was ceiling paint. Got home to discover the blasted thing is just plain old wall paint.
Was just winding up for a major tantrum when Tony suggested I should stop obsessing about such trivialities and pick up that extension pole I just badgered him into buying for me. You can see a tiny bit of the colour we went with the in the top right hand corner. Looks pretty.



-carpet ripped up in front room to discover (gasp) that the floor boards are painted mission brown. Anyone got any ideas on that one? How the heck should we get it off? In good news, Tony discovered that the skirting boards go all the way to the floor boards, meaning no messy gap filling. Yay for old skirting boards!


-in an effort to loosen up my tired aching muscles, I took myself down to the City Park where they have a summer yoga program under a big old tree. No, they do not provide yoga mats. Yes, there is MOUNTAINS of possum poo. Yes, that provides for an interesting 'downward dog'. No, I cannot touch my toes. No, it was not the gentle lovely Hatha yoga but some hybrid power yoga thingie that almost had me collapsing (who am I kidding with the 'almost?'). No, I cannot walk today. But yes, I had a blast.

- still waiting on quotes from tradesmen who while lovely and helpful, do not seem to share our eagerness to work.

- I discovered that when you're standing up a ladder unsuccessfully trying to juggle a paint scraper, putty knife and pot of putty, there's only one place left to rest your tools -- the bum pocket. Man! Who knew being so well endowed in the arse area would be such a handyman's boon?
Do yourself a favor and don't try to imagine it.

Robyn

5 comments:

M.J. said...

You are busy like a busy thing.

Frankly I would leave the floorboards alone. They look fine in the pics : )

Kez said...

I second leaving the floorboards alone. Mission brown is a bitch to remove. Complete sanding (with one of those power sanders) is the only option )and it might take forever, and it creates a lot of dust)

Robyn Enlund said...

Power sander it is!!
We have to do the floor boards, I just wasn't sure if the sanding would be enough. I'm sure it will be.
I got a quote for doing the floor boards-- $3000. Tony reckons he wants to do it. He did a great job on the last house....but you're right - it's SO messy.

Amanda said...

Hey Robyn... just read this blog and had a much needed chuckle...!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Amanda

Little Fec said...

Ikea Rocks!

B did our floorboards in two days with glandular fever.

Just make sure your walls are dry before you start, or you might get the same effect as your sunscreen experience *g*