Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 24 - in which we discover the basket of too-hardness

It should probably come as no surprise that we've been finding it hard to pin tradesmen down.
They either:

a) can't quote because they're too busy,
b) don't show up to quote
c) show up and then don't send us the quote,
d) show up to quote but then never show up again
e) have a three month wait period

....ad neuseum. I'm sure you either get the idea, or have experienced it yourself.

But Tony took out the cat herding honors today by booking a tiler AND a plumber AND a floor sander. He is up for some big treats like a back rub or something for his stellar effort. I don't deal well with tradesmen (a fact he refuses to believe). Today he asked me to call one. Being the good and dutiful wife I am (lol) I complied, only for the whole debacle to end with me screeching that it might be all very well and good for HIM (the tradie) to go without a shower, but I SMELL and need to have one, so could he PLEASE tell me when he is coming. It was probably pure embarrassment that caused him to give me the date.

We were going to do the floor sanding ourselves, but after a few days of (Tony) pulling up carpet only to find foam stuck to the floorboards, only to lift that to find CARPET GLUE underneath that, we bow to the fact that IT'S TOO FREAKING HARD and we'd spend two weeks just getting that glue off when a professional will probably do it in two days. In line with the 'each room is a different colour' debacle, each room has a different flooring problem. Some have glue, some mold (ick!) some lift up perfectly. Like these three rooms:













There are times when the money is just well spent. And I'm sure this is one of them. Otherwise, we'll be here so long that I'll have to sign up for the dole to get some money because that seems to be the job of choice down here. That might sound narky, but I assure you, I am merely conveying the truth of the job situation down here. On the news the other night, tassie had the lowest participation in the job force in Australia. Huh??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that explains where all the plumbers are--sitting on their fats, collecting the dole! Good luck with those floors.