Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Day 51 - in which the Schweitz kicks some renovation butt

So much has happened in the past week that I've barely had time to eat chocolate.
Barely.
Hold on, I've had time to eat chocolate, but no time for anything else.
A girl has her priorities, after all.

But all jokes aside (not that i was joking), there were times during the week when the house looked suspiciously like a bad episode of Renovation Rescue. Minus the Suzie Wilks babe factor. And after all my whining, we had in one place at one time: landscapers, floor sanders, electricians, carpenters, plumbers and any old riff raff that felt like wandering in off the street. It was manic.
Tony was very happy. I was very exhausted. Who knew it would take so much energy to watch other people work?

But nothing has managed to get our asses into gear like a visit from the Schweitz.
Or at least his ass is very much in gear, and ours is left trailing behind in his Energizer wake.
He is ace.
We've always known he was generous, it's kind of hard to miss someone with his size heart. His generosity is the stuff of family legend and something he would hit me if i wrote about. But when we were still in Melbourne and arrived home one night to find his sleeping bag and his inflatable mattress on our porch to take down with us, we knew he wasn't kidding about coming down and giving us a hand.

He's here a whole week!!

He arrived Monday, and I swear all the Launcestions must have thought the Beatles had reformed and arrived, by the rockstar welcome we gave him. I was yelling 'where is he? I can't see him!' and Tony is all 'he'll be there, don't worry. Oh, there he is, I'd know that scone anywhere.'

Then, we had another little laugh by taking him to a derelict house situated in small court along with McDonalds, a second hand car yard, a cane warehouse and a plaster making factory and telling him it was our place.
The cruelty!!
But by God it was hilarious. And he didn't even look at us like 'you must be kidding me', he just said 'it's changed from the photos, that's for sure.'
lol

But within days, suddenly rooms are getting finished and he's tackling all the things Tony and said 'gawd, who's going to fix that?' about.

All those little things like 'we've pulled out the entire cupboard and screwed the plaster up. How do we fix that?"
Schweitz

'Crap, we thought we were so smart buying those ceiling roses, but how do we get them up?'
Schweitz














Installing the kitchen?
Schweitz

He is a whiz, and in addition, has a repertoire of mild cuss words I'm thinking of employing on a full time basis. Or maybe it's just the way he cusses. He talks to the plaster/switch/ceiling rose like it actually has some say in the matter.
"Don't you dare you buggar. I'm warning you, don't even think about it" all said with such relish it's hard not to stand at the bottom of the ladder and grin. Then he says 'what're you doing? I thought you were getting me a cup of tea?'
lol

I don't think he has any idea how much it means to us to have him here. I keep trying to tell him, but he brushes it off. It's not his skills, although they are awesome and something my Dad would have been so proud of. It's having someone we love so much here and telling us it's all going to be okay. That we're doing okay. First Freya, and now Rob. We are blessed. In fact I feel so grateful that I have stocked my fridge with premium beer just because I know he likes it. I think I will owe him much babysitting of his children while he goes and holidays somewhere exotic.

In other news - we even have grass now, but that will have to wait till next post to dazzle you with it's goodness. For now, here's the halfway done BBQ area.

3 comments:

Little Fec said...

The ceiling roses look awesome!
And if the Schweitz still has the renovating itch after his whirlwind trip - well, lets just say i caught Oliver lovingly placing a piece of plaster in my slipper the other day. New plaster in the hallway may be required. Sigh.

Matilda said...

Kicking some renovation butt!!! wow, it's looking great! I know it's not Thanksgiving, but isn't it nice to have such wonderful friends that you give thanks for them on Thanksgiving Day and every day!!! We love and miss you. P&M

Robyn Enlund said...

Maybe I'll be savvy enough to fix it for you myself!

And we miss you too Matilda. Go and have some nice brekky for us :-)