Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 32 - in which we haul our aching muscles back up the scaffold


More exterior work today. Here's a pic Tony took of me at the end of the day when all I wanted was a good stiff drink.
He handed me a Midori Illusion.
I said 'that's not stiff enough'
He said 'too bad, it's what you bought'.

Why do I always pick the prettiest bottles in the bottle shop rather than something that will do the job, i.e. knock me out? Perhaps I should take some Panadeine with it.

Just joking, Mum.

So we've done two coats of the top part of half the house. We're going to be at it next easter at this rate. I have also discovered that Builders Bog is the Putty of Satan. It hardens in three minutes, smells like hot fibreglass, and has fumes that feel like they're burning my eyes out. After it glued my rubber gloves together, I made a stand - I don't care if the bucket of it cost $30 -- I'm NOT USING IT!!!

Tony discovered that with a little ingenuity and an even spraying method, he can make the ugly chrome door handle a thing of beauty. I am very impressed. Especially considering when he insisted on buying the spray at Bunnings today, I said : 'Oh, go ahead. But don't come running to me when it looks poxy.'
So of course it looks fabulous.

Then there was the farce of my door lacquering ability. You might remember that we sent the front door off to get dipped. Well it came back and I've been mildly successful in my stain/lacquer job. In fact, I thought I was pretty hot stuff, until we went to look at the other doors today and saw the professional kind of job the dip&strip joint does.
Oh dear.
THEY didn't have any drip marks.
THEY didn't have some areas darker than others; and
THEY didn't have any brush marks whatsoever.

So putting on my best 'i-really-don't-want-to-pay-any-more-but-please-mr-nice-man-please
-varnish-my-doors-for-free' face, while Tony COMPLETELY undermined me by saying 'just pay it. Just pay whatever they want', I proceeded to bargain a whole $20 off the price.
Go me.
So now, at least, the rest of the doors won't be bodgy.

So it's triumphs all round here, as we gear up for a night in which we take a bootful of our dirty washing down to the laundromat and eat take out Chinese while we wait for it to go through spin cycle.

I have such a glamorous life.

2 comments:

M.J. said...

It might not be glamourous but at least there is food you can eat : ))

Someone needs to invent nanopaint that you just put a little bit on and it kind of grows the rest or something...

Little Fec said...

i love the colour!
It's inspiring me to paint my house so it's not haunted-witch-house dark green any more.