Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day 27 - In which we move on outside

Exterior, Exterior, our boring white Exterior.
Why do i think you'll be a pain in our posterior?

It's not like we're finished with inside, or anything - but apparently the weather is going to turn NASTY in about three weeks (maybe two) and the people in the know have suggested we get our butts outside and start to paint before it's all too late. I mean, you can see me, can't you, being so very very happy to be outside painting on a cold foggy Launceston morning. Nope. Can't imagine it. In fact it sounds like a quick route to hell.

Which of course begs the question - what the heck colour are we going to paint it? I mean, I thought choosing interior colours was hard - but exterior paint is OUT THERE for the whole world to see when i screw it up majorly.
So much faffing and tooing and frooing has been happening down here.
None of which makes Tony happy.
In fact it makes him very UNhappy.
To the point where yesterday, just before I bought the sample pot he didn't think was necessary to buy, he said to me: "If you change your mind again, I'm going to kill myself."

WELL!

That's quite a forceful and shocking thing to say, when frankly, all I'm trying to do is make it all look good.

So I bought my little sample pot of 'Portland Stone' and spent the afternoon putting it up while he worked like a demon scraping paint off the guttering. And let me tell you, despite my superior understanding of colour and wonderful eye for decorating (ha!) - it looked like total cack.

I'm talking, hey, who rubbed the nappy up on your wall??' kind of cack colour. So disgusting, that I wondered what the heck I could possibly have been thinking. AND to make matters worse, I teamed this godawful colour with a greeny grey that screamed at it just as loud as the screaming in my head.

Ha!

So after a while, Tony came to see what I was up to. He just looked at it and said 'so, we have to find a new colour.'

Thank GOD!!!

So in the end, I trawled the internet and found this NZ company called Resene that makes really pretty exterior colours and two sample pots later we're ready to go. It's not going to set the world on fire - but it's pretty, and i'm happy.

We've got our scaffold (which I'd like to throw our mattress to the top of and sleep on, looks like fun), and Tony has put in some mammoth effort scraping the entire exterior, so there are paint flakes covering the ground.

In other news, I had my first experience with a high pressure cleaner yesterday when I cleaned all the weather boards. And in another one of those 'who knew' moments, it turns out that what i thought was exhaust fumes covering the house is actually a lovely black MOULD.

Attractive. Needless to say, I blasted the crap out of it.

Tony then saw how much fun it all was, and blasted the BBQ area which now looks as good as new. We are exceptionally talented at blasting stuff.

2 comments:

Matilda said...

You guys are working soooo hard! I feel a little guilty just having had two wonderful relaxing days at our friend's beach house. Ok, I don't feel guilty at all... but you are working SOOOOOO hard! We miss you. and love you heaps!

Robyn Enlund said...

Wha??
You went to the beach for the weekend.
I am SO jealous. Envious. Wishing it were me. All of the above.